Wednesday 30 June 2021

Our amazing Harakeke baskets

 Yesterday I really enjoyed making our Harakeke basket to hold our sausages in this Friday.  WALT make Harakeke baskets to put our sausages in on Friday. We need to get our baskets finished in order to get a free sausage.

We did it by getting two bits of flax and taking out the little strong bit in the middle. Then pull each half into three pieces. After we put seven of the pieces on way and weaved one over under to the end and then one under over to the end and so on. Then after we ran out of sticks we would go onto the side that only had five pieces and folded the one on the outside of the middle one over and then fold the left end one over to the right and then put the right one to the left side. Then I would tie them together and do the same on the other side of 5 pieces. I would get the middle one of the three and put it through the tie at the end of the other three. The you get all of the other long pieces and criss cross them around over the bit of flax you just put through the tie and fold some through the part where the sausage goes and it should look a bit like this or even better. I really enjoyed learning how to make these Harakeke mats. Mine does not quite look like a basket it mostly looks like a flat thing instead of a basket. Is this something you want to make?


1 comment:

  1. Hi Xanthe, there were many baskets made that day Xanthe. I think I can make them in my sleep now. I wonder what other things we could make. I have made a ball before, I actually learnt how to do that in the last lockdown.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.